Just this summer alone we have witnessed epic droughts, record temperatures, massive forest fires, stronger and more frequent hurricanes leading to immense flooding, and the accelerated melting of the polar ice caps.
The consequences of climate change that were predicted to occur 20 or 30 years in the future are happening now. Extreme weather patterns that are supposed to happen once every 500 years are occurring every year.
These are all linked to climate change and some of effects are already irreversible.
The 2021 report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change makes it clear once-and-for-all that we are at a turning point and we must act decisively now.
More information on the NDP’s strategy to address the climate crisis can be found here.
As an MP, addressing the climate crisis and lowering greenhouse gas emissions will be my number one priority, including:
- pushing for significant investments into renewable energy and zero emission vehicles, buildings, manufacturing, and farming, and
- the complete elimination of both fossil fuel consumption and production in Canada.
As the MP for Kings-Hants, I would take a lead role in ensuring the riding helps stabilize the global temperature increase at 1.5 degrees by 2030.
In keeping with the NDP platform, our local goal would be a 50% reduction in GHG emissions below 2005 levels by 2030 and net-zero emissions by 2050.
I would begin by putting together a working group of all key stakeholders in the riding to develop an ambitious local climate action plan.
To reach these goals I would emphasize the following measures:
- transition away from coal as an energy source; the goal would be to make sure the riding has net carbon-free electricity by 2030
- green our electricity grids by having businesses, cooperatives, First Nations, and individual landowners harness wind and solar power and other renewable energy, which can then be connected to our electricity grid
- ensure all existing and new homes and other buildings are carbon neutral
- ensure 100% of local new vehicle sales will be zero emission vehicles by 2035 while installing more charging stations
- electrify our public transit fleets and other municipal government vehicles
- hold heavy polluters accountable to reduce emissions by adhering to the industrial carbon pricing scheme is in place
- work with the agricultural sector to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and
- embark on ambitious tree planting program.
I would promote greater research at our post-secondary institutions to advance technological innovation in renewable energy.
I will be a strong voice for environmental justice by advocating for Indigenous peoples, addressing environmental racism, reducing poverty and inequality, and promoting good union jobs in the new green economy.
My priorities for safeguarding our ecosystems and biodiversity would be to ensure 30 percent of our local lands and freshwater are protected by 2030, which includes opposing the sale of Owls Head, and to make our logging more sustainable, which includes eliminating clear cutting.
- Steve Schneider