Among the recent formalities was notarizing and submitting our official papers to the Elections Canada Kings-Hants Riding Office (located in the basement of the Canada Post building in Kentville).
I am actually the first official candidate in the riding and, apparently, Melinda (my campaign manager) cast the first official vote at the Elections Canada Riding Office/Polling Station.
Melinda declined to telling me who she voted for, but she did let me know that this polling station is open for continuous voting up until Oct. 21. So I would encourage all our members and supporters to get out an vote early (no doubt you will be hearing more from us on this).
We have also hit the ground running in what will assuredly be a very competitive race in Kings-Hants.
I have been very busy canvassing and attending public events we have a great election team in place, our campaign office is fully functioning (don't forget about our official opening on Sept. 14, 1 to 4 pm), and we will be busy putting up lawn signs over the next few weeks (make sure to put your order in now while supplies last!).
Our local campaign theme is Vote for the Most Qualified Candidate!
Much of my career and volunteering has been dedicated to public service.
Some of you already know of my background and accomplishments.
- I live in Wolfville with my wife Meg and daughter Evangeline.
- I serve the community as a Wolfville Children's Centre board member and Acadia minor basketball coach.
- I teach criminology at St. Mary’s University and am recognized as a national expert in crime prevention and organized crime.
- I have written five books and over 40 research reports for federal government agencies.
- I have spent 25 years as a community development activist helping numerous neighbourhoods throughout Canada grow stronger, safer and more prosperous
- I have implemented tutoring & mentoring programs for at-risk youth, preparing them for a brighter future
As the M.P. for Kings-Hants, some of my priorities will include the following:
- Promoting local economic innovation in traditional industries and new green technology and jobs.
- Protecting our natural habitat by working to reduce green-house gas emissions and through greater conservation efforts.
- Increasing infrastructure spending to repair roads and expand high-speed Internet
- Creating more child care spaces.
- Helping to address our health care crisis by advocating for a national Pharmacare program, expanding universal coverage to dental care, eyes, and mental health care, and ensuring people in Kings-Hants have access to local health care services
- Creating more affordable housing & long-term care beds
- Helping seasonal workers access employment insurance benefits
- Implementing tutoring/mentoring programs for disadvantaged children.
- Working with First Nation's to ensure their rights and culture are respected and celebrated
I am honoured to be the NDP candidate for Kings-Hants and I hope I can count on your support.